Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fighters Uncaged Review

Fighters Uncaged
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
First some background(skip to third paragraph if you don't want it):Since June or so of this year I've been working at getting in shape, slowly adding in new exercises that work. I tried P90X, but I was too out of shape for it at the beginning. So, I worked with a trainer for a 2 months or so and then I started cycling and then I started stand up paddle surfing and also using a step machine that I have. So, my workouts have been cycling some days, surfing some days and step machine some days. When Kinect came out I bought it hoping that it would add another interesting workout into the mix, especially with winter coming and surfing and cycling getting harder in the cold. I bought a lot of games hoping for one or two games that would be fun enough to keep me moving and maybe even so fun that I pushed myself harder than I would have with just exercise for exercise sake. I bought sonic free riders, dance central, fighters uncaged, kinect adventures(came with the kinect), Your Shape Fitness Evolved and Kinectimals. Kinectimals has kind of been a bust for me. It really is a little kid's game. I thought it might have some impressive AI. Dance Central is great. It really recognizes your movements and corrects you. Sonic Free Riders has taken some time to get in to. Like MarioKart, you have to memorize the levels, but its tiring on your knees squating down and leaning forwards and backwards the whole time and then squatting and jumping over jumps and jump turning in the air to try to pull moves. So, I only do 5 or 6 runs a session and have not memorized the levels, which makes winning impossible. Your Shape Fitness Evolved is also very good. You have to do the moves in time with the trainer in the fitness classes, otherwise you don't get credit for them. The gym games are fun and I wish there were more of them and that there was some kind of fitness class that incorporated them. I have done 3 workouts with Your Shape since getting it, there's also a website that lets you track your progress which is really neat, especially for me because I've found that keeping a journal of my workouts has been really motivational and with this website, I get to see other people working at getting in shape too.
I was also what many would consider a "hardcore" gamer. I used to play Bond on N64 and MarioKart for marathon sessions in college. I played a lot of Oblivion in 2007 and assasin's creed and quake on the pc in 2008 -2009. I have loved most of the Zelda games and get really lost in them, including on Nintendo DS. So, I'm not a world of warcraft junkie or a caffeinated FPS lover and I don't play many sports games, but I have a fine appreciation for precision controls and became frustrated with Wii attempts at sports games that required you to waggle the controller (while I loved the Wii for its fun game play and for movement games that were precise like laser hockey). Kinect has been a really nice addition for me with my workouts and is not a Wii-type waggle motion control mechanism. It recognizes you and your movements accurately. Its not as precise as a mouse and keyboard, or even a handheld controller - but the games that its made for are not button pressing games. They are games that are designed to require to you to move your entire body and I've been really happy with the performance of the games and the motion detection. So, knowing how I look at games, you can now hear what I think about this game. I like this game a lot. First, I was incredibly frustrated when the game would not recognize my moves, despite trying to mimic the onscreen avatar till my thighs were burning from jumping and squatting and from squatting and then exploding up through an uppercut. I sort of chalked this game up to a loss, but then I had a friend come over and saw that he was able to control it much better than I was. Together we went through the training classes analyzing how the kinect saw different movements and got to understand how this game wants you to control the player. This game does not require you to punch hard. You simply have to move your hand forward for a punch. This game does not require you to do a full body punch to get someone in the gut, instead starting with your hands in guard mode, you make a circle to the outside pointed diagonally downward. Also, moves are only possible from certain distances which are clearly marked at all times. So, you can't uppercut somebody from long range. And you can't round kick a knee from long range. You have to be up close. Once we worked this out, the game got a LOT better. The workouts that I went through getting to this point were hard - exactly what I wanted: I found myself forcing my body keep up with what my mind wanted it to do. Although my thighs were burning from squatting, I would push to try to get Kinect to see the movement.
I've just moved up the ladder to league 2 today. I've played this game maybe 5 or 6 times. Each time I walk away pretty sweaty and have to take a shower. Its been a really good addition to the workout routine. Especially good is that as you fight the computer, you have to dodge punches which means leaning back very quickly many times at unexpected times. So, you're using your stomach and lower back and keeping tight the whole time. My stomach and back were sore (in a good way) for the past few days and just are starting to feel ready for the game today. This game is a really, really good start on fighting games for kinect.
I've seen reviews that seem to be written by people who were in the frustrated stage of review that I was in before I really worked out how to control the game. I wish they would keep at it and really do the training until they can successfully pull off the moves there before they write these reviews. This is a quality game. Its worth buying. You have to work at getting it down - but that's like all sports. You have to practice and for the first time, video games are starting to feel like sports with the kinect. The more you train your movements, the better you will be at playing this game. And that's exactly what I was looking for when I bought it. So, I really love this game and encourage people to buy it.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Fighters Uncaged


Fighters Uncaged is an unique and gritty tournament style fighting game exclusive for Xbox 360 that delivers 100% controller-free action via the body mapping and motion capture capabilities of Microsoft Kinect*. The game features 70 real martial arts move -- including punches, kicks, defensive actions and more -- that the player instantly triggers in-game against opponents by performing the actual move in front of the Kinect sensor. Additional features include intense combo possibilities, special voice activated moves, over-the-top opponents and multiplayer support, including co-op and online leaderboard functionality on Xbox LIVE.


Buy NowGet 9% OFF

Click here for more information about Fighters Uncaged

0 comments:

Post a Comment